Women’s tennis match against Moravian suspended tied at 4-4
HUNTINGDON, Pa. – Juniata College and Moravian College had to wait over two weeks to play their Landmark Conference match, after it was postponed due to weather from its originally scheduled date on March 24.
They'll have to wait a little longer to find out who won it.
Juniata and Moravian had their Monday afternoon match suspended due to rain, tied at 4-4 with the no. 6 singles match on the court playing in the third set.
Moravian took all three points out of doubles play, but Juniata rallied to post four wins in singles play.
Heather Waring (San Antonio, Texas/John Jay) captured her no. 2 singles match over Moravian's Carly Agrifolio, 6-3, 6-2. Megan Phillips (Jefferson Hills, Pa./Thomas Jefferson) took a three-set win off the Greyhounds' Katie Zien at no. 3 singles, while Stacie Beegle (Schellsburg, Pa./Chestnut Ridge) and Cara Stough (Friendsville, Md./Northern Garrett) each won in two sets at no. 4 and 5 singles respectively.
Moravian's Chelsea Ott won a 6-0, 6-0 decision over Juniata's Lisa Hauptman (Lorsch, Germany/Alfred-Delp-Schule) at no. 1 singles, which brought the outcome of the match down to no. 6 singles.
The Eagles' Hilary Walsh (Wayneboro, Pa./Waynesboro Area) notched a 7-6 (8-6) win in the first set of no. 6 singles over Moravian's Olivia Sonnabend, but Sonnabend rallied for a 6-4 win in set two. Set three was tied at 2-2 with Walsh leading 30-15 in game five when the skies opened and the rain came down, forcing suspension of the match.
A date for the completion of the no. 6 singles match will be determined later this week.
Juniata 4, Moravian 4
1. Chelsea Ott (MOR) def. Lisa Hauptman (JUN) 6-0, 6-0
2. Heather Waring (JUN) def. Carly Agrifolio (MOR) 6-3, 6-2
3. Megan Phillips (JUN) def. Katie Zien (MOR) 7-6 (13-11), 6-4
4. Stacie Beegle (JUN) def. Brianna Kavanagh (MOR) 6-2, 6-0
5. Cara Stough (JUN) def. Erica Venuti (MOR) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
6. Olivia Sonnabend (MOR) vs. Hilary Walsh (JUN) no result
1. Chelsea Ott/Katie Zien (MOR) def. Megan Phillips/Heather Waring (JUN) 8-0
2. Carly Agrifolio/Erica Venuti (MOR) def. Lisa Hauptman/Cara Stough (JUN) 8-6
3. Brianna Kavanagh/Olivia Sonnabend (MOR) def. Stacie Beegle/Hilary Walsh (JUN) 8-6