By: Laura Chapman
Assistant Sports Information Director
email@example.com • juniatasports.net
PORT ROYAL, S.C. – The Juniata College tennis program continued spring break action in South Carolina with dual matches against the Golden Flyers of Nazareth College. The Eagle men came out with an 8-1 win, sweeping all six singles positions and winning two our of the three doubles bouts. The Juniata women improved to 4-0, taking two of the three doubles contests and five of the six singles positions.
Freshman Dean Polisena (Adelaide, Australia) got his second dual match win at the No. 1 singles position and at No. 1 doubles with his partner senior Elliott Perow (Huntingdon, Pa./Huntingdon Area). Perow won No. 3 singles 6-1, 6-4. Senior Justin Wisniewski (Moorestown, N.J./Moorestown) teamed up with sophomore Bryan Gregory (Glen Mills, Pa./Garnet Valley) to take the No. 2 doubles, 8-4. Both Eagles only dropped one game in singles play with Wisniewski taking No. 2 singles 6-0, 6-1, and Gregory winning No. 4 singles 6-1, 6-0.
Sophomores Logan Moore (Chadds Ford, Pa./Unionville) and Mike Lifshitz (Worcester, Mass./Worcester Academy) rounded out singles play for the men only dropping five combined games with Morre winning 6-1, 6-1, and Lifshitz taking No. 6 singles 6-0, 6-3.
On the women's side, the Eagles continued their winning ways with sophomores Mitsuki Koh (Cupertino, Calif./Monta Vista) and Tori Gray (York, Pa./Central York) taking No. 2 doubles freshman Rachel Yurchisin (Cleveland, Ohio/Padua Franciscan) and sophomore Jacklyn Renninger (Manheim, Pa./Manheim Central) topping No. 3 doubles, both by the score of 8-4.
Junior Cara Stough (Friendsville, Md./Northern Garret) made her first appearance of the spring season and captured No. 6 singles 6-3, 6-2. Junior Heather Waring (San Antonio, Tx./John Jay) and senior Megan Phillips (Jefferson Hills, Pa./Thomas Jefferson) fought hard at the No. 1 singles, but lost 8-5. Phillips grabbed the final win for Juniata, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 3 singles.
Both teams will finish out spring break play with dual matches against Gordon College at 11:30 a.m. and Greenville College at 6 p.m. tomorrow, March 12, before returning home to open Landmark Conference play at Catholic University of America. The women host Lycoming College for the home opener Wed., March 19, at 3:30 p.m. and the men also host Lycoming College for their home opener Mon., March 24, at 3:30 p.m.
1. Dean Polisena (JUNM) def. Tyler Williams (NAZM) 6-3, 6-0
2. Justin Wisniewski (JUNM) def. Erik Manske (NAZM) 6-0, 6-1
3. Elliott Perow (JUNM) def. Scott Trobert (NAZM) 6-1, 6-4
4. Bryan Gregory (JUNM) def. Nick Lord (NAZM) 6-1, 6-0
5. Logan Moore (JUNM) def. Brian Rosiek (NAZM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Michael Lifshitz (JUNM) def. Christian Bryant (NAZM) 6-0, 6-3
1. Dean Polisena/Elliott Perow (JUNM) def. Scott Trobert/Erik Manske (NAZM) 8-2
2. Justin Wisniewski/Bryan Gregory (JUNM) def. Nick Lord/Christian Bryant (NAZM) 8-4
3. Matt Jennings/Brian Rosiek (NAZM) def. Logan Moore/Michael Lifshitz (JUNM) 8-3
1. Alison Tepas (NAZW) def. Heather Waring (JUNW) 6-1, 6-2
2. Rachel Yurchisin (JUNW) def. Sara Kashtan (NAZW) 6-1, 6-2
3. Megan Phillips (JUNW) def. Jean McCarthy (NAZW) 6-3, 6-4
4. Mitsuki Koh (JUNW) def. Ami Petosa (NAZW) 6-3, 3-6, 10-7
5. Jacklyn Renninger (JUNW) def. Krista Pagan (NAZW) 6-4, 6-1
6. Cara Stough (JUNW) def. Elizabeth Crane (NAZW) 6-3, 6-2
1. Alison Tepas/Sara Kashtan (NAZW) def. Heather Waring/Megan Phillips (JUNW) 8-5
2. Mitsuki Koh/Tori Gray (JUNW) def. Krista Pagan/Elizabeth Crane (NAZW) 8-4
3. Rachel Yurchisin/Jacklyn Renninger (JUNW) def. Ami Petosa/Jean McCarthy (NAZW) 8-4
Follow Your Eagles! Stay up-to-date on your Juniata College Eagles by following us on twitter (@JuniataEagles) and on Facebook (Juniata Eagles).