By: Laura Chapman
Assistant Sports Information Director
email@example.com • juniatasports.net
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. – Juniata College women's tennis continued its domination of play down in Hilton Head, S.C., finishing the week with wins over Gordon College, 5-4, and Greenville College, 5-2 in a match shortened by darkness. The Eagles improved to 6-0 on the year.
Against Gordon, the Eagles battled through close singles play and hard fought doubles action to come out on top 5-4. Sophomore Jacklyn Renninger (Manheim, Pa./Manheim Central) and freshman Rachel Yurchisin (Cleveland, Ohio/Padua Fransiscan) continued their dominant performance at No. 3 doubles taking their contest 8-1. Renninger took the No. 6 singles draw 6-4, 6-2 for her fifth consecutive singles win.
The No. 2 doubles pair of sophomores Tori Gray (York, Pa./Central York) and Mitsuki Koh (Cupertino, Calif./Monta Vista) rebounded from a rough 8-5 loss to each win their respective singles at No. 5 and No. 4. Senior Megan Phillips (Jefferson Hills, Pa./Thomas Jefferson) was the final Juniata player on court and won the No. 3 singles draw 6-2, 6-3, to clinch the match.
In the evening bout with Greenville, Juniata captured all three doubles matches and split the four singles matches before the final two were called for darkness. At No. 1 doubles, Phillips and junior Heather Waring (San Antonio, Tx./John Jay) rebounded from a morning loss to take the match 8-1. Renninger and Yurchisin also captured their match by an 8-1 score with Koh and Gray finishing out the doubles wins, 8-0 at No. 2 doubles.
Freshman Samantha Hendricks (McVeytown, Pa./Mifflin County) took the No. 3 singles draw 6-3, 6-2, and junior Cara Stough (Friendsville, Md./Northern Garrett) earned the final win of the night with a 6-4, 6-4, victory at the No. 2 position.
Juniata will stay on the road with a Landmark Conference match at Catholic University of America before returning home for the season home opener March 19, at 3:30 p.m., against Lycoming College.
Juniata vs. Gordon
1. Caroline Hall (GC) def. Heather Waring (JUNW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Tawnie Yeaw (GC) def. Rachael Yurchisin (JUNW) 6-4, 0-6, 10-4
3. Megan Phillips (JUNW) def. Lily Drescher (GC) 6-2, 6-3
4. Mitsuki Koh (JUNW) def. Cindi Flynn (GC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Tori Gray (JUNW) def. Abby Caron (GC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jacklyn Renninger (JUNW) def. Rebecca Levy (GC) 6-4, 6-2
1. Cindi Flynn/Caroline Hall (GC) def. Heather Waring/Megan Phillips (JUNW) 8-1
2. Lily Drescher/Tawnie Yeaw (GC) def. Mitsuki Koh/Tori Gray (JUNW) 8-5
3. Jacklyn Renninger/Rachael Yurchisin (JUNW) def. Abby Caron/Liann Van Volkinburg (GC) 8-1
Juniata vs. Greenville
1. Kristen Lynch (GVCW) def. Megan Phillips (JUNW) 6-2, 6-2
2. Cara Stough (JUNW) def. Lexi Baysinger (GVCW) 6-4, 6-4
3. Samantha Hendricks (JUNW) def. Chelsie Evans (GVCW) 6-3, 6-2
4. Lezlie Blaser (GVCW) def. Devin Ryman (JUNW) 6-2, 6-1
5. Felicia Roppelt (JUNW) vs. Anna Brannon (GVCW) unfinished
6. Charlotte Caddick (JUNW) vs. Emily Rauch (GVCW) unfinished
1. Heather Waring/Megan Phillips (JUNW) def. Kristen Lynch/Lexi Baysinger (GVCW) 8-1
2. Mitsuki Koh/Tori Gray (JUNW) def. Chelsie Evans/Lezlie Blaser (GVCW) 8-0
3. Rachel Yurchisin/Jacklyn Renninger (JUNW) def. Anna Brannon/Abby Mauer (GVCW) 8-1
Follow Your Eagles! Stay up-to-date on your Juniata College Eagles by following us on twitter (@JuniataEagles) and on Facebook (Juniata Eagles).