By: Laura Chapman
Assistant Sports Information Director
firstname.lastname@example.org • juniatasports.net
Photo: J.D. Cavrich Photography
SCRANTON, Pa. – The Juniata College women's tennis team lost just its third match of the season, falling to The University of Scranton 7-2. The Eagles are now 7-3 on the year while the Royals improve to 6-6 on the year and are undefeated in Landmark Conference play.
Junior Heather Waring (San Antonio, Tx./John Jay) earned the win at No. 1 singles for Juniata earning her fourth win of the season. She teamed up with senior Megan Phillips (Jefferson Hills, Pa./Thomas Jefferson) to claim the No. 1 doubles position. The win gave the duo its 12th win of the season, fifth in a row, and the top combination for the Eagles has won seven of the last ten matches. Phillips dropped the opening set of her match, but bounced back for a 6-1 win in the second set to force a third, but fell 6-2.
Both the No. 2 pairing of freshman Rachel Yurchisin (Cleveland, Ohio/Padua Franciscan) and junior Cara Stough (Friendsville, Md./Northern Garret) and the No. 3 combination of sophomores Mitsuki Koh (Cupertino, Calif./Monta Vista) and Tori Gray (York, Pa./Central York) forced extra tennis in the respective doubles matches, but fell by a final score of 9-7.
Juniata will stay on the road for non-conference matches against Elizabethtown College and York College tomorrow, April 6, at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. respectively. The Eagles will return to Huntingdon with a Landmark match against Susquehanna University Tuesday, April 8, at 3:30 p.m.
Juniata 2 Scranton 7
1. Heather Waring (JUNW) def. Stephanie Boccuzzi (SCRWT14) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Devon Cohen (SCRWT14) def. Megan Phillips (JUNW) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
3. Megan Azzalina (SCRWT14) def. Mitsuki Koh (JUNW) 6-1, 6-1
4. Emily Walsh (SCRWT14) def. Rachel Yurchisin (JUNW) 6-3, 6-0
5. Nicole Mahaffey (SCRWT14) def. Tori Gray (JUNW) 6-3, 6-3
6. Lisa-Marie Lanciotti (SCRWT14) def. Jacklyn Renninger (JUNW) 6-0, 6-0
1. Megan Phillips/Heather Waring (JUNW) def. Stephanie Boccuzzi/Devon Cohen (SCRWT14) 8-6
2. Nicole Mahaffey/Emily Walsh (SCRWT14) def. Cara Stough/Rachel Yurchisin (JUNW) 9-7
3. Megan Azzalina/Lisa-Marie Lanciotti (SCRWT14) def. Tori Gray/Mitsuki Koh (JUNW) 9-7
Follow Your Eagles! Stay up-to-date on your Juniata College Eagles by following us on twitter (@JuniataEagles) and on Facebook (Juniata Eagles).